Use this agility, handling and decision-making activity as a way of getting players thinking, moving and interacting. It comes from our Skills Conditioning and Fitness DVD. MORE
VIDEO: The lateral pass
The lateral pass is a normal pass which travels around 3-5m. It should be quick to catch and pass. Use these games to improve your players’ passing speed and catching skills under pressure.
- In a static line of four, players pass the ball from one end to the other. Time how long it takes to make 12 passes.
- Two sets of four players line up on either side of the coach. You feed two balls simultaneously to each team’s first player.
- Both teams then run and pass the ball along the line to the outside player who scores a try over the scoring line.
- The team that scores first wins a point. Teams then swap sides and repeat.
- Swap the players around so they appreciate different positions. For older groups, add in miss passes, switches and loops.
- Add in two defenders to oppose each group.COACHING TIPThe players should reach for the ball on the catch and push the ball on the pass.
WHAT TO CALL OUT
- Look at the ball.
- Accelerate and keep balanced.
- Reach early for the ball.
- Swing the ball across your body and pass to the receiver’s hands.
Condition a game where the defenders can only defend in a set area of the pitch.
Have a 5m channel at each side of the pitch which is “out of bounds” for defenders.
Load the defence in the middle of the pitch. The ball starts in the centre of the pitch.
Encourage the attacking team to move the ball quickly to the outside channels so that scoring is easy.
If you want to develop the passing further, try out these activities: