Develop your players’ handling with this rotation of activities. Quick to set up, it could form part of a warm-up routine. Each exercise has a challenge to keep players motivated to look to improve. MORE
VIDEO: Easy 3 v 2s training
Pull together the passing, running lines and communication skills in this easy 3 v 2 exercise.
HOW TO DO IT
- Five players in a line run and pass the ball.
- Once the ball reaches the last player, he runs towards you and pops you the ball.
- He and the previous passer run around you and line up to defend. The first three players realign, ready to receive the ball from you.
- Playing touch rugby, the attackers use their running, fixing and passing skills, plus offload passing to beat the players in front of them.
- Work both left and right, mixing up the players.
- You can also play with 4 v 2, 3 v 3 or similar combinations.
“Finish the pass, then realign”
WHAT TO CALL OUT
- Finish the passes on the first round accurately, with the hands towards the receiver.
- Attack the defence at pace – power step if there is contact (step to the edge of the defender).
- Move the ball from one to two to one hand to engage a defender from a distance.
DEVELOP THE PRACTICE
- Have six players in a 20m box running around passing a ball. At one end is a try line.
- Shout at two players’ names and they have to run to the try line before turning to defend.
- In the meantime, the ball carrier goes to ground and presents the ball where he was standing.
- The other players now realign and attack as soon as they can by picking up and passing the ball, while the defenders advance.
- Use touch or full tackling.