Keep your team on the front foot in the breakdown area by making sure the players use good techniques and make the right choices on which threats to deal with. MORE
VIDEO: Easy 3 v 2s training
Pull together the passing, running lines and communication skills in this easy 3 v 2 exercise.
HOW TO DO IT
- Five players in a line run and pass the ball.
- Once the ball reaches the last player, he runs towards you and pops you the ball.
- He and the previous passer run around you and line up to defend. The first three players realign, ready to receive the ball from you.
- Playing touch rugby, the attackers use their running, fixing and passing skills, plus offload passing to beat the players in front of them.
- Work both left and right, mixing up the players.
- You can also play with 4 v 2, 3 v 3 or similar combinations.
“Finish the pass, then realign”
WHAT TO CALL OUT
- Finish the passes on the first round accurately, with the hands towards the receiver.
- Attack the defence at pace – power step if there is contact (step to the edge of the defender).
- Move the ball from one to two to one hand to engage a defender from a distance.
DEVELOP THE PRACTICE
- Have six players in a 20m box running around passing a ball. At one end is a try line.
- Shout at two players’ names and they have to run to the try line before turning to defend.
- In the meantime, the ball carrier goes to ground and presents the ball where he was standing.
- The other players now realign and attack as soon as they can by picking up and passing the ball, while the defenders advance.
- Use touch or full tackling.