Practise falling on dropped passes or loose kicks as part of your core skills, especially in wet conditions. MORE
Tika-taka rugby: finding space
Barcelona football team are fantastic to watch in the way they pass the ball quickly to players in space. This style of play does not happen by chance – replicate it in your rugby training.
Especially with young players their focus is very much on the ball and not the space available. This is why players of all ages move towards the ball. This activity works on players moving away from the ball once it has been re-gained into space and creating width and options. By doing this and using quick accurate passing we can move the ball to players in space to go forward and gain ground or score.
- Nominate two chasers and six passers.
- The passers have to use passing only to keep the ball away from the two chasers.
- The two chasers have to either intercept a pass or force a mistake or get a two handed touch on the ball carrier.
- Then increase the number of chasers to six, increase the area size and to let everyone move.
- The same rules apply.
- The final stage is a six versus six game with no set piece, and tap pass re-starts after an infringement.
- After a touch tackle, the attacking team must make two passes before being touched or scoring a try.
- Quickly pass the ball to someone in space.
- Move away from the ball carrier into space.
- In the game-situation, move away from the breakdown to create width.