Develop attackers’ ability to realign after a chase to retrieve the ball and then attack a different type of defence each time. Challenge the defenders to organise on the run too. By Dan Cottrell ACTIVITY Three defenders (A,B,C), each which a number allocated to them Four attackers, in a two and two, run back to... MORE
The easiest 3v2 drill ever
U13–U16 | HANDLING 6
Get players practising their passing, running lines and communication skills in this simple activity
- Five players run forward and pass the ball. You, as the coach, stand nearly opposite the last player.
- Once the ball reaches the last player, he runs towards you and pops you the ball.
- The last player and the previous passer run around you and line up to defend.
- The first three players realign and become attackers, ready to receive the ball from you and launch a 3v2.
- Playing touch rugby, the attackers use their running, fixing and passing skills, plus offload passing, to beat the players in front of them.
- Work both left and right, mixing up the players.
You will need
- 1 ball
Got more players?
You can also play with 4v2, 4v3 or similar combinations.
What to tell your players
“Attack the defence at pace ”
“Move the ball from one to two to one hand to engage a defender from a distance”