Don’t teach falling over. Teach the players to bounce themselves and therefore the ball off the ground and back into the game. It reduces the fear of falling by making the players embrace the ground as part of a skill for continuity. MORE
Run straight, catch and pass to find space
U13–U16 | HANDLING 4
Get players working on catch and pass skills to fix defenders and put the free player away
- Mark out a 10m x 5m area. Put feeder A on one corner and feeder B on the adjacent corner along one of the long sides. Put three attackers behind the line between the feeders and put two defenders on the opposite side.
- When you shout out a letter, here “B”, that feeder passes a ball to the nearest attacker. He runs forward into the area, passing it to the second attacker who then passes it to the third attacker.
- In the meantime, the defenders race forward, closing down the first and second attackers.
- The attackers aim to run straight lines and rely on quick passing and good catching to put the third attacker into space, allowing him to cross the opposite line. The defenders aim to stop the attackers getting their passes away using two-handed touch tackles.
- Repeat, randomly choosing which side the ball will come from. Rotate players so that they experience attack and defence.
- Develop by adding another attacker in a 20m x 15m area. Again randomise which side the ball comes from, but now the defenders can choose who they want to defend against.
You will need
- A 10m x 5m area
- 2 balls
Got more players?
Set up another area and play another game alongside.
What to tell your players
“Hands ready to catch the ball”
“Run up the pitch, not across”
“Keep the ball off the chest”