Use this activity to develop evasive movement before contact. The players start with a jump before accelerating, changing angles and then accelerating away again. Ideal as a warm up exercise. MORE
Pump, scan, pass or go
Learn to fix defenders with straight running and a “pump” pass – then pass or go depending on whether the defender drifts off. Use this decision-making exercise to develop both skills.
Keeping a defender guessing is crucial when trying to finish try-scoring opportunities. By running straight the defender is held. But if he looks like he might drift, a simple “pump” of the ball towards the intended receiver can make him step out, leaving the gap to go through.
- A ball carrier and three support players run towards the box.
- A defender waits on the corner of the box until the first attacker enters it.
- As soon as the first attacker enters the box, he can pass the ball and the defender can move forward to touch the ball carrier.
- The ball carrier can “pump” the ball towards the next receiver.
- If the defender drifts too much, he can go himself instead of passing.
- Start the exercise at jogging pace, so that players can understand the lines and skills, before speeding up the exercise.
- Develop by adding another defender who starts outside the box.
- Change the length of the box to suit the skills of the players.
- Run straight.
- Pump, scan and then pass or go.