Subscriber question: I have to produce a 40-minute session for a level 2 course – it concerns a 2 v 2 support loop using whole-part-whole. Can you give me some ideas on how to approach it? MORE
U9 | HANDLING 6
Encourage accurate passing and communication when running in support
- Set out a 10m x 6m area with sets of three 2m cone gates at 3m, 5m and 7m. Put three attackers along one side of the area with the cone gates in front of them. Give a ball to a player at one end.
- When you say “go”, the players run forward. At all times, the ball carrier can only look forward, not to his side.
- When the ball carrier reaches the first gate, the second player in the line gives him a call to pass. Because he is looking forward, the ball carrier is forced to pass across his body, with hands following through to the target.
- Because players can only look forward, it’s inevitable that the ball will be dropped, but this is part of the process of learning to pass the ball across the body.
- The second player continues running to the next gate and passes to the third player who calls for the ball. All players race through to the line, turn and repeat.
- Make the game more challenging by putting two defenders to act as targets to fix before passing. Start them just standing, but if players progress well, make them come forward to put pressure on the ball attackers.
You will need
- A 10m x 6m
- 1 ball
- Bibs (optional)
Got more players?
Run another game alongside.
What to tell your players
“Pass softly, but with the hands following through to the potential target”
“Run straight and call for the ball”
“Put your hands out towards the pass”