Build up the best techniques for winning quick rucks with this warm-up ruck drill. The players develop the right footwork and body angles and body shapes to drive away threats from the ball. MORE
Passing from the ground up
Isolate the ball carrier’s arms and upper body so he can work on his catching and passing skills in a fun and innovative way. By focusing initially on just the arms and hands, you can ingrain the right body movements for proper passing actions – then put the passer under pressure.
- Get the players to line up 5m apart as if they were passing the ball along the line.
- The player in the middle lies on his back.
- The standing players pass the ball to the player on the ground who then passes to the next player who is standing.
- Then go back in the other direction.
- At first players will try to PUSH the ball as in a basketball chest pass but reinforce that they MUST pass in the same way as if they were standing up.
- Then get the middle player to kneel/sit while passing.
- Increase realism by adding a defender and having the middle player first walk then run to the ball before passing.
- Further develop by having a defender coming forward to pressurise the pass.
- Hands out to receive the ball.
- Pass the ball across the body and release it to the next player.
- Hands pointed towards receiving player (it will go to the left or right of the receiver if they do not).