Draw defenders out of position and then use short passing for the support player to run onto. Use this activity to get the timing right and then put into a game situation. MORE
Passing decision-making at pace
Go from simple skills to decision-making in 15 minutes with this challenging, fast-paced session. It will encourage intelligent failure.
It’s a common game scenario (an overlap) that’s great for basic skills and conditioning.
Practice one (2 minutes)
- Lines of six players pass down the line while running at full speed.
Practice two (4 minutes)
- 3 v 2, completed three times.
- Put three groups of two defenders at 5m intervals inside a 15m channel.
- Stagger the defenders, with the first group on the touchline, the second group in the middle and the third group 5m inside the 15m line.
- Defenders use touch tackling and can only move sideways.
Game one (4 minutes)
- 6 v 6 inside half a pitch.
- Start in the middle.
- The team with the ball aims to score within four touch tackles.
- No kicking or offloading.
- When a defender makes a touch, he kneels and is out the game until the end of that attack.
- The touched carrier is then scrum half.
- If the attack scores, or fails to score before the fourth tackle, it’s turnover ball.
- You decide where play restarts on halfway or try line.
Game two (4 minutes)
- To develop, the side with the ball must kick to score after the third tackle.
- That is, they grubber or chip for a chaser.
- Attack space in front of you.
- Extend arms towards ball.
- 10 points of contact on ball.