While we want players to carry the ball in two hands more, they are plenty of times when one-handed carries are important. But the hand has to be more dominant than the body and here’s why… MORE
Get the ball to the wing – quick!
Exploit the space on the outside for your wingers by using effective passing and fixing defenders. Give your speedsters enough room to run in that space.
If you have a quick winger, then you need to hold up the midfield defence and allow that player time and space to attack.
- Put three players inside the 3m long, 25m wide box.
- Have the first player run into the box in front of him and pass into the next box.
- The second player does the same so the last player takes the ball on the run in the final box.
- The second player can pass before he reaches the end of a second box to the final player to sprint to the try line in front of him.
- At the same time set off a defender who tries to intercept the final ball carrier before he makes the try line.
- Put three attackers at one end of the box and two defenders opposite the first two attackers about 10m away from the attackers.
- Put another defender at the side of the box.
- From this side, a feeder passes to the first attacker.
- The defenders in the box can only pressurize the first two attackers.
- The defender outside the box covers the last attacker.
- Play touch rugby.
- Take the pass, run, fix your defender, look at the receiver and pass in front of him. BUT pull back the pass.
- Receivers, hold your run so you have enough time and space to pass and release players wide out.