Your team needs to be able to score in a variety of ways using different methods, as sometimes phase play and handling will only take you so far against a quality defence, especially those that blitz. The chip and chase can be a very useful option. MORE
Catch it, pass it!
Develop the ability to catch and pass the ball at speed with accuracy by using this simple activity slowly to learn technique then increasing pace.
- Player 1 passes to the walking player 2
- Player 2 keeps his hands towards the passer to receive the ball early. He then passes to player 3
- Player 2 identifies the target and passes the ball across his chest to player 3. He keeps his body square before he passes
- Once player 2 has passed to player 3 he walks to the line and turns. He then gets the return pass from player 3 and passes to player 1
- After six passes swap receiver and feeders
- Increase realism by putting a defender in front of player 2
- You can also adjust the cones to change the angle passes are received and delivered
WHY USE IT
Develop the ability to receive and transfer the ball accurately while on the move.
A 5m square, six cones, one ball, three/four players
HOW TO DO IT
Stage 1 (walking)
- From his cone, player 1 passes the ball to player 2 who catches and passes the ball to player 3 who stands on his own cone (see picture 1).
- Player 2 walks to the end of the box, turns, gets a pass from player 3 and passes to player 1.
- Increase the speed the player in the middle moves, receives and passes and when proficient, increase the length of the pass by making the square bigger.
- Introduce a defender who will provide pressure. The defender moves forward from the opposite line.
- Player 1 passes to player 2 who catches and passes to player 3 (see picture 3).
- Start at walking pace and develop into a run to increase the intensity of the skill.
- Receiver stands outside leg up (farthest leg from the passer)
- Hands out (farthest hand in front of the other hand)
- Hands chest high
- Receive ball early
- ID target receiver
- Square body up
- Transfer hands across chest and pass