Encourage all the best attributes in a good defensive line with this game of slide and hammer. It will improve your teams’ line speed and cohesiveness. MORE
Parent & kid session: Unhungry hippo
A game for a coach/parent and a kid, aged 5 and upwards. Ideal for the back garden, could even be run in the front room. You just need some old shoes if you don’t have any balls in the house (or the neighbour hasn’t thrown them back yet).
- Put five “shoes” on the ground spread out randomly over a 10m square.
- Put kid outside the square.
- Either using a stopwatch, or saying “Unhungry hippo 5, unhungry hippo 4…”, see if kid can clear all the “shoes” out of the box.
- See “clear” options below.
- Adjust timings/shoes to suit.
Shoes have to be placed and not thrown out of the square.
Shoes have to be placed into a box inside the square.
Use balls instead of shoes, and the balls have to be passed/kicked to you.
Throw more shoes into the playing box as kid is clearing.
Have an order in which shoes have to be cleared.
If you are using balls, certain types of pass have to be used.
Have zones, so kid has to jump between zones.
Release the pet dog to act as a disruptor.
Have a hose or water pistol to fire randomly at kid to keep them moving.
Have rolled up socks instead of balls.
Use rolled up socks to throw at kids (low shots only).
Other kids (sisters/brothers) are allowed to return “shoes” to the box, so kid has to make sure they are at least even at the end of the go.
Every time a shoe is cleared, they do one exercise (e.g. press up).
Kid bear crawls to each shoe.
COACH FORFEIT IF KID WINS (AGE DEPENDENT OF COURSE)
- Two fingers of beer.
- Two minutes of kid bedroom tidying per game won (expect to lose sometimes!)
- Coach does 10 seconds of unhungry hippo against weaponized kid.