Improve the movement and coordination needed for lifting the catcher at the kick off. MORE
Keep your players under pressure while performing this tackling exercise. As fatigue sets in, will they be able to retain their technique?
- Two attackers start on adjacent cones.
- A defender stands in the middle.
- Attackers take it in turns to run to the cone opposite them while the defender completes a side-on tackle.
- Attackers cannot evade and must run straight.
- Run for 30 seconds per defender who scores a point for each completed tackle.
- The tackled player should present the ball well, regain their feet then return to their starting position via the cone they were heading for.
- The next attacker starts their run when the defender has got to their feet
- The activity should initially be at a jogging pace but this can increase to full speed, then evasion, as tacklers become more proficient.
- It is in the tackler’s own interest to regain his feet to maximise the number of tackles he can complete during his turn.
- This is also an excellent conditioning game.