Your back three need to be competent playing on the wing or as full back and they all need to be able to catch the ball and clear it from any position in the back field. Put the back three inside the 22m, with 14 and 11 ahead of 15 Put a passer and two... MORE
Mauls and peels
If you have control of the maul with the ball at the back, you can continue to attack close to the maul by “peeling off”. This keeps your forward momentum going and pressurises the fringes of the defence.
- Put three attackers on the midline, with a ball carrier at the front
- Put two defenders directly in front of the ball carrier
- The attack drives forward, with one of the attackers ripping the ball and going forward when he can
- In a wider box, put ruck-pad holders on each corner
- When an attacker peels off, the pad holder comes forward to challenge
- Play 4 v 3 v 1 with no passing
- If an attacker breaks free, the end defender can tackle him
- Attackers are not allowed to pass the ball, only rip it
- If grounded in the tackle, the attack must ruck over and set up a new maul
Attack with momentum and no passing.
Cones, ruck pads, ball.
HOW TO DO IT
- Put three attackers in a triangle shape within
a 5m square, with the ball carrier at the front, putting the ball on his hip. He faces forward in a low, driving position with
two other players bound onto his sides.
- Put two defenders less than a metre in front of them. When you say: “GO”, the three attackers drive forward, with one of the back players aiming to rip the ball out and run with it or rip and transfer to the other team mate.
- Put three attackers and two defenders in a 10m x 5m box, with a ruck-pad holder in each corner of the defensive end.
- As before, the attackers go forward and when one breaks off, the ruck pad holder at that corner comes forward and the attacking player drives into him.
- The other attackers need to come in to support. Add another attacking player if necessary. Remove ruck pads for more realism.
- Put four attackers near one edge of a box and three defenders just in front of them. A fourth defender stays on the back (try) line.
- The attackers aim to score. If an attacker breaks free, the defender at the back can come forward. Attackers are not allowed to pass the ball, only rip it. If an attacker is tackled to the ground, ruck over and set up a new maul.
- Play full contact. Encourage the players to peel off the maul to create go-forward.