This session works on players reading the situation and not being afraid to give up ground as long as the tackle is made. Sometimes the tackler needs to accept that he cannot “win” the contact, but still needs to bring the ball carrier to ground effectively. MORE
Defence is all about teamwork and trust. An effective defence is a simple defence and nothing could be simpler and more effective than “magic threes”.
Work on communication and looking ahead, while being aware of who’s next to who.
- Start three defenders between two cones facing you. You direct them left, right, forward and back using hand signals.
- The defenders have to move together and keep the space between them the same at all times.
- After about 15 seconds you move the players back between the two cones to check they have kept together. Players should be watching you carefully and reacting to the changes immediately.
- The middle player faces you while the outside players face away. The middle player has to communicate all the changes of direction.
- Tell three attackers to move left and right. They move forward when told and the defenders have to stay opposite them and make tackles.
- Three defenders in the square defend against four attackers from one side of the square attack to the opposite side.
- When the attackers score or are stopped you shout “CHANGE”. They switch round and realign to defend against the attack from another side of the square.
- The same team defend for one minute and then swap over. Give the defence one point for each attack stopped.
- Keep your spacing constant as you move around.
- Be aware of the defenders on either side of you.