Make players more aware of how and when to counter ruck. MORE
Work on good setups and movement, jumping and organisation in your lineout pods with this dynamic activity. It should mix up roles of your players.
Let players try out different roles, even if it’s not perfect. That allows players to realise what works for all those involved in the lineout lift and jump.
- The aim is to get the ball to the other side of the pitch with least throws/dropped balls.
- On the command “play” each pod can move as close/far away from the thrower and set and jump.
- The thrower throws to the player in the air, runs and receives a pop off the top – this is their next lineout start point.
- Each pod then moves further across the pitch, and set and jump.
- Each player in the pod, must be in a different position in the next lineout – that is, the jumper cannot jump in the next lineout.
- If the player who catches is in possession of the ball when he touches the ground – the pod has to reset back to the very start position.
- If the thrower misses their target the pod has to come back to where the thrower is standing.
- Good communication during organisation set up.
- Dynamic movement, to get into position and into the air.
- Supporters to hold the jumper in the air, until the ball can be delivered off the top to the thrower.