The low tackle is the best way to neutralise mismatches in size and power. It relies on a tackler closing down space to restrict the attacker’s speed and momentum – use this scoring game to get it right. MORE
After the line break – make the most of your attacking gains
There are two things you can do with space – preserve it or use it. Exploiting space needs to done quickly, with pace and determination. The key is to create activities that do not end with making a line break but actually start once they do.
- Put three ruck-pad holders in the middle of the box
- Have the three attackers move from side to side with the ball carrier in the middle
- Shout “GO” to make the attackers come forward
- The ball carrier races between a gap and passes immediately
- The support players react quickly to give the ball carrier options either side
- The pad holders can be active or passive
- Start with the players running into position.
- Change the starting positions of the ruck-pad holders.
- Take away the ruck pads.