Build up the best techniques for winning quick rucks with this warm-up ruck drill. The players develop the right footwork and body angles and body shapes to drive away threats from the ball. MORE
Learn to pick and support
Develop your players’ ability to get into the best positions to support the ball carrier. They have to react to the speed of the ball carrier and his likely pass, so good communication is imperative.
The ball carrier might be quick or slow. The support players must either race to get into position or hold their runs so they can take the ball at pace.
- Put three numbered attackers at the side at one end of the first box and a ball in the middle of the corridor opposite the middle player.
- When you shout a number, that player runs out and picks up the ball.
- The other two players run to the end middle cone and then turn to support.
- The first ball carrier passes once he reaches the middle box, and then the second carrier passes in the end box.
- Develop by placing two defenders halfway down one side.
- When you call an attacker’s number, the defenders run into the middle and end boxes before coming forward to defend using touch tackling.
- Sweep over the ball to pick it up.
- Call for the pass.
- No spin passes, just pop the ball up into the path of the support player.