Set your players up for the session with this competitive warm-up game which helps them use footwork, communication and in the development, passing skills. MORE
Ladder attack decisions
Skilful footwork can improve acceleration, agility and balance. But get a two-in-one benefit by using footwork ladders to also develop your players’ heads-up decision-making.
It’s a simple session to improve agility in decision-making exercises – and very easy to set up and vary.
- Set out the ladders as illustrated.
- Starting with a 2 v 1, the attackers run through the ladders, putting one foot in each space before exiting.
- Then, add two ladders to create a 3 v 2, with the defenders offset.
- Or coming from the side as in a drift defence (picture 3).
- To develop, the first attacker receives a pass just after he comes out of the ladder. Also, change the footwork patterns within the ladder (such as both feet in each space).
- You can also try shortening the ladders and getting players to run into them from a few metres away (before performing the agility footwork needed).
- Run on the balls of your feet and use your arms
- Stay balanced and keep your feet underneath you
- Accuracy, not speed