Improve your players’ understanding of their roles to make sure you can retrieve kicks and attack space when in possession. Play with your Terms and Conditions, not the kicking teams’. When a team kicks into space, the defending team needs to communicate and fan out so it can run back at spaces. MORE
Ladder attack decisions
Skilful footwork can improve acceleration, agility and balance. But get a two-in-one benefit by using footwork ladders to also develop your players’ heads-up decision-making.
It’s a simple session to improve agility in decision-making exercises – and very easy to set up and vary.
- Set out the ladders as illustrated.
- Starting with a 2 v 1, the attackers run through the ladders, putting one foot in each space before exiting.
- Then, add two ladders to create a 3 v 2, with the defenders offset.
- Or coming from the side as in a drift defence (picture 3).
- To develop, the first attacker receives a pass just after he comes out of the ladder. Also, change the footwork patterns within the ladder (such as both feet in each space).
- You can also try shortening the ladders and getting players to run into them from a few metres away (before performing the agility footwork needed).
- Run on the balls of your feet and use your arms
- Stay balanced and keep your feet underneath you
- Accuracy, not speed