Develop passing techniques before unleashing an attacking and defence situation. A quick-fire game to challenge players to think about space and communication (it happens sometimes!) ACTIVITY A group of three face one way A group of two face the other The ball is passed along the line every time you say “Pass” When it gets... MORE
Kicking for all seasons
This session works through the main kicks needed in a match: Grubber, punt, box and high ball. The players will also be able to work on catching.
- One player runs along a line and grubber kicks for another player to pick up and pass
- The players run around the box, picking up and passing, and then running and kicking
- One player box kicks the ball to a catcher (15)
- The catcher takes the ball under pressure from a chaser (W)
- The ball is then passed out along the line
- The end player kicks across to the winger, a ”wipers” kick
- The winger passes into 15 and the next player kicks a high ball to the middle
Use a variety of match-like kicks in dynamic situations.
HOW TO DO IT
- Set up three players at three corners of a 10m square.
- Get the first player to run with a ball along one side of the box and grubber kick the ball across the box when he reaches halfway.
- He aims at the middle of the side he is running towards. The next player runs out to meet the kick, takes it to the corner opposite him, turns at the corner and repeats.
- Continue for at least three circuits before making the players work in the opposite direction.
- Set up nine players in the area.
- Start with a box kick and chase to a 15 (or winger). Get the ball caught and passed out for a wipers (cross field) kick. Once caught, the ball is passed infield for a high ball.
- Add players to act as chasers and rotate players around the boxes.
- Grubber: Kick on top of the ball.
- Punt: Kick the ball in its middle.
- Box kick: Line up towards the touchline and make contact on the point of the ball keeping head down, follow through at a 60 degree angle and keep light on the standing foot.
- Chaser: Run to the intended drop point.
- Catcher: Focus on the ball and move forward to make the catch