Help your team’s kick-off chase and receipt with this fun Dutch game – it’s suitable for players aged 12 and above. Dutch grassroots' Ritchard Kelliher created it to reinforce his core messages on attack. MORE
VIDEO: Place kick
Improve your place kicker’s conversion and penalty kicking accuracy and distance.
- Put a ball on tee or cone.
- Aim a seam towards the target.
- Place the non kicking foot next to the ball and step a couple of paces backwards and to the side.
- Look at the sweet spot, then the target.
- Breathe in and then out.
- Jog towards the ball, keeping your eyes on it.
- Plant the non kicking foot in line with the ball.
- Keep the arm on the side of the non-kicking foot horizontal for balance.
- Kick through the ball towards the target.
Practice 1: Put a rucking bag or tackle pad 1m in front of the kicking tee. The kicker practises hitting kicks into the pad to improve rhythm.
Practice 2: The kicker stands on the try line, facing one post. They aim to hit it from various distances.
- The session can be developed by playing the “goal kick competition”. The first player puts the ball next to the kicking tee.
- He then runs around the posts and has 45 seconds to tee up, step back and kick the goal.
- Repeat for each player, recording the times and scores.
- Development: For conversion type kicks, have a defending player try to charge down the kick. Have another player 10 metres away shouting at the kicker to put extra pressure on the kicker.
- Concentrate on striking the ball on the “sweet spot”.
- Follow through with the kick to the target.