Time your chase and catch from a box kick, depending on the skills of your 9. Whatever the hang time and distance of the kick, the chaser should be able to challenge for the ball at the end of his sprint. MORE
VIDEO: Place kick
Improve your place kicker’s conversion and penalty kicking accuracy and distance.
- Put a ball on tee or cone.
- Aim a seam towards the target.
- Place the non kicking foot next to the ball and step a couple of paces backwards and to the side.
- Look at the sweet spot, then the target.
- Breathe in and then out.
- Jog towards the ball, keeping your eyes on it.
- Plant the non kicking foot in line with the ball.
- Keep the arm on the side of the non-kicking foot horizontal for balance.
- Kick through the ball towards the target.
Practice 1: Put a rucking bag or tackle pad 1m in front of the kicking tee. The kicker practises hitting kicks into the pad to improve rhythm.
Practice 2: The kicker stands on the try line, facing one post. They aim to hit it from various distances.
- The session can be developed by playing the “goal kick competition”. The first player puts the ball next to the kicking tee.
- He then runs around the posts and has 45 seconds to tee up, step back and kick the goal.
- Repeat for each player, recording the times and scores.
- Development: For conversion type kicks, have a defending player try to charge down the kick. Have another player 10 metres away shouting at the kicker to put extra pressure on the kicker.
- Concentrate on striking the ball on the “sweet spot”.
- Follow through with the kick to the target.