Develop your players’ ability to jump to catch a high ball under pressure. This session aims to give your players more confidence. A jump to catch a high ball is not just a vertical jump. The player has to be moving into the space in front of them to dominate the situation. MORE
Three column counter attacks
Develop a long passing counter-attack game which includes accurate kicking, fielding and moving the ball to space out of your 22. Use this whole pitch exercise to work on the right skills.
In a territorial kicking game, your backfield cover needs to be confident to field kicks, pass long and either kick long or run back.
- Put a player in each third of the 22m area at either end of the pitch. Have players at the side ready to rotate in.
- Have a player in one of the end channels kick the ball down the channel they are in.
- Once fielded, the catcher moves the ball infield immediately taking no forward steps.
- The middle player catches the pass and is allowed to take three or four steps before passing the ball to the player in the other end channel.
- This player then makes a kick parallel to the touchline to their direct opposite player.
- Once the ball is kicked, the kicker leaves the field and each player moves across one box – and the others rotate in from the side when a space appears.
- Place four more players on the halfway line, two for each team.
- Repeat the game but the three players attack when the ball is caught.
- The attackers can now LEAVE their boxes to attack.
- They must try to score a try on the 10m line.
- Whether they are successful or not, the ball is kicked to an opposition winger from the 22m and the game begins again with the new attackers and defenders.
- Kick the ends of the ball only with the laces part of the boot – allows quick, intrinsic feedback to kicker.