Develop players’ balance and reaction in attack and defence. The session has lots of chances for good communication and teamwork. The movement disruption will mean players have to adjust their depth in attack or reconnect to the line in defence. MORE
Three column counter attacks
Develop a long passing counter-attack game which includes accurate kicking, fielding and moving the ball to space out of your 22. Use this whole pitch exercise to work on the right skills.
In a territorial kicking game, your backfield cover needs to be confident to field kicks, pass long and either kick long or run back.
- Put a player in each third of the 22m area at either end of the pitch. Have players at the side ready to rotate in.
- Have a player in one of the end channels kick the ball down the channel they are in.
- Once fielded, the catcher moves the ball infield immediately taking no forward steps.
- The middle player catches the pass and is allowed to take three or four steps before passing the ball to the player in the other end channel.
- This player then makes a kick parallel to the touchline to their direct opposite player.
- Once the ball is kicked, the kicker leaves the field and each player moves across one box – and the others rotate in from the side when a space appears.
- Place four more players on the halfway line, two for each team.
- Repeat the game but the three players attack when the ball is caught.
- The attackers can now LEAVE their boxes to attack.
- They must try to score a try on the 10m line.
- Whether they are successful or not, the ball is kicked to an opposition winger from the 22m and the game begins again with the new attackers and defenders.
- Kick the ends of the ball only with the laces part of the boot – allows quick, intrinsic feedback to kicker.