Develop your players’ ability to jump to catch a high ball under pressure. This session aims to give your players more confidence. A jump to catch a high ball is not just a vertical jump. The player has to be moving into the space in front of them to dominate the situation. MORE
Real kicks to find space
Build up the skill to kick accurately and then kick to where the defence are not.
Often kicks in open field are aimless. In this session, challenge the players first to kick to where they intend to, and then to kick to where the defence are not. In other words, look before kicking.
- Put two players 5m apart.
- They kick the ball six times to each other.
- Once they have completed six in a row (kicked and caught), one of the players steps back a cone, so the kicks are now 10m.
- Finally the other player does, once six more are completed.
- Have a feeder pass the ball to the kicker, who then has to turn and kick to a target.
- Keep rotating the players.
- Have a feeder pass the ball to the kicker.
- As the pass is being made another player runs to one of the boxes.
- The kicker then goes for to kick for the spare box.
- In the meantime, the other player can run back to the spare box, or stay in his own box.
- This keeps the kicker looking to make quick decisions.
- Score a point for a kick into the box, and a point for the receiver if he catches the ball.
- Drop the ball down the middle of the body before kicking.
- Keep the shoulders square to the target.
- Kick through the ball towards the target.