Develop a long passing counter-attack game which includes accurate kicking, fielding and moving the ball to space out of your 22. Use this whole pitch exercise to work on the right skills. In a territorial kicking game, your backfield cover needs to be confident to field kicks, pass long and either kick long or run back. MORE
Create the desire to win the ball in the air, for kick-offs, high balls and lineouts. This session creates jumping and catching challenges for different situations. Let the players discover what works for them and try out lots of scenarios.
- Stand 5m away from two players who are side by side in a 5m corridor.
- Throw the ball in between the two players.
- They have to compete for the ball.
- Put an attacker at each end of the box, and another one who can rove around the middle two boxes.
- Put two defenders in the middle areas.
- The attack has 30 seconds to score as many “points”.
- They score two points by a throw from one end box to the other AND the catcher is off the ground when he catches the ball.
- They can also score one point if the throw is from one half to the end box in the other half (with a jump).
- If the ball is intercepted or knocked down, then the ball starts in the nearest end box.
- Defenders cannot enter the end boxes or touch an attacker.
- Put two players from each team in each “scoring zone”.
- One team start with the ball.
- They kick or throw the ball into the other zone.
- A clean catch means a point. The kicker/thrower rotates for each go. The first team to five points wins.
- Drive up and jump into the space to win the ball.
- Reach with the hands up and out, elbows in front of the shoulders.
- Stay light on the feet before the jump.