Shuffling and cross-over steps are essential skills for a defender to react to a change of direction of an attacker. Work on these in the development of your players’ tackling progression. MORE
Play Mortars for kick-offs
Help your team’s kick-off chase and receipt with this fun Dutch game – it’s suitable for players aged 12 and above. Dutch grassroots’ Ritchard Kelliher created it to reinforce his core messages on attack.
Mortars is a kick-off game where players learn to chase and get under the ball before the opposition, and receivers aim to make a clean catch.
- Each team gets into a corner box.
- The attacking team decides which coloured team they’ll attack.
- The attacking team’s kicker drop-kicks into the chosen opposition’s square.
- His team chases the ball and tries to get under it before the opposition.
- If the ball hits the ground within the opposition square, that team is out.
- If a player knocks on or drops the ball, his team is out.
- If an attacker manages to catch the ball within the opposition’s square, ALL the opposition teams are out.
- If the ball doesn’t reach the square or overshoots it, the attacking team is out.
- Each round continues until only one team remains. That team gets a point and the ball passes to the next team.
- Whichever team has the most points after 20 minutes wins.
- Kicker: land the ball so it bounces towards you.
- Chase aggressively to try to force an opposition error.
- Run efficient running lines. Judge where the ball will drop and attack that space.
- Eyes on the ball.
- Keep talking.