Use this game with eight to ten players to improve your players’ counter-attacking reactions, so support players who are in front of the kick, especially, can connect with the ball carrier more effectively. Connect quickly with the ball carrier to attack gaps in the kick-chase. MORE
Kick start your counter attack
This simple session helps players discover ways to return kicks with good angles, passing and communication. It’s very open and allows players the chance to experiment as well as build up a repertoire of plays.
- Play in groups of 3v3. A 9 makes the first pass to a player who kicks the ball to one of the three opponents facing him and his two team mates chase the kick.
- The three counter attackers field the ball then attack the two defenders chasing the kick.
- A variety of individual and collective techniques and skills can be used to beat the two chasing defenders.
- Ask the kicker to use a variety of kicks – a punt, long grubber, up and under – so the ball lands on top of the catchers, in front or behind them.
Allow counter attackers to kick back.
Begin by playing 6v6, with two layers of three players in each team. The front three are the kickers and chasers, the back three are the fielders and counter attackers.
The game starts with one team kicking to the back three of the opposition and chasing the kick.
The back three field it and counter attack with the support of their front three, who drop back making it a 6v3. After this attack, the roles swap.
- Look at the ball as it is kicked – then react and call.
- Turn your body sideways as you catch.
- If under pressure, jump and catch.
- Support from deep and run at the space.