Create the desire to win the ball in the air, for kick-offs, high balls and lineouts. This session creates jumping and catching challenges for different situations. Let the players discover what works for them and try out lots of scenarios. GAME 1 Stand 5m away from two players who are side by side in a... MORE
Kick-catch and play: ideal for introducing kicking
As kicking is introduced into the game, players need to be ready to catch or gather a kick and then play away from the kick. This session develops those skills.
Quite often kicks at younger age groups are poor. Therefore it’s likely the catcher might be taking the ball unhindered or just gathering the ball from the ground. The support players have to react to this situation as well.
- Put three attackers inside a 20m box.
- Have a kicker kick the ball into the box from 20m away with two defenders coming forward.
- The attackers have to gather the ball before it bounces out of the box and then try to score at the far end of the box.
- You can use touch or grab tackling.
- Depending on the skills of your players, you can increase or reduce the numbers and the distances.
- Better players will jump to take the ball.
- Reach the hands up for the ball.
- Turn the body so if it’s fumbled then it goes sideways or backwards.