Use our two simple tactics to pull defences one way and then kick the other to surprise them and give your chasers a good chance of gathering the kick unopposed. MORE
Counter attack game training
Use this game with eight to ten players to improve your players’ counter-attacking reactions, so support players who are in front of the kick, especially, can connect with the ball carrier more effectively.
Connect quickly with the ball carrier to attack gaps in the kick-chase.
- Split into two teams of four, with two near the front of their half and two near the back.
- Put a player at each side of the box on the halfway line. They will join the counterattack team.
- Have the back two pairs exchange kicks.
- When you shout “ play”, the next receiver starts the counterattack.
- The attack is joined by the players on the edges of the pitch.
- The attack aims to score at the far end without the ball carrier being touched.
The defenders at the front of the box must wait for the kicker to put them onside before they come forward.
Allow one second to pass the ball if touched to promote close support.
Allow kicking by the counterattack team, which might keep one of the chasers covering back.
GAME FOR FEWER PLAYERS
Use this setup for fewer players (say a backline of seven).