With the new 50 – 22 Laws, this skill practice aims to aid a kicker with an opportunity to identify where an opposition is weakest. MORE
Contestable kicks contest
Develop your players’ ability to jump to catch a high ball under pressure. This session aims to
give your players more confidence.
A jump to catch a high ball is not just a vertical jump. The player has to be moving into the space in front of them to dominate the situation.
- Put two players holding ruck pads at head height about 5m in front of the catcher and no more than arms distance apart.
- Have the catcher run at the gap in the pads.
- Standing behind the pads, throw ball over the pad holders so the player has to leap and catch the ball either just before, over or through the pads.
- Increase the distances and have the pad holders move forward and backwards to develop.
- Put two attackers and a kicker about 20m away from two 10m boxes.
- Put a defender in front of the kicker and then another defender just behind the boxes. Have the kicker aim to land the ball in the boxes so they are contestable by his own players.
- The defender in front of the kicker can try to block the kick or run back to help his team mate.
- Keep your eye on the ball all the way – no matter what you expect to happen.
- Jump into the space where the ball will be caught, keeping your elbows close and your hands up.
- Bend your knees as you are airborne to land more safely.