Create the desire to win the ball in the air, for kick-offs, high balls and lineouts. This session creates jumping and catching challenges for different situations. Let the players discover what works for them and try out lots of scenarios. GAME 1 Stand 5m away from two players who are side by side in a... MORE
Box it under pressure: game tester
Clear your lines from a ruck or scrum by the side of the pitch with a contestable kick for your winger to chase. Also good from a quick turnover and an excellent tactic on rainy days to return the pressure.
When a 9 kicks from the back of ruck or scrum into the space behind the opposition, it’s called a box kick. It’s normally contestable by the chasers, so needs height. Plus, the 9 needs the correct foot work so he isn’t blocked.
- Put a 9 behind a ruck pad with a ball on the ground, with three attackers ready to chase forward.
- Have three defenders on the other side of the ruck pad and another one near the end of the box.
- Have the 9 pick up and box kick for his chasers.
- He gets a point for a clean kick and three points for a kick his chasers can challenge for and two further points if they win back the ball.
- Develop by adding attackers to the back of the ruck pad.
- The 9 can put them in position to be “blockers”.
- They have to be behind the ball when the 9 picks up.
- Pick up the ball and take one step back with the eventual kicking foot.
- Step out with the plant foot, with the shoulders and hips facing the touchline.
- Note, the step back can be before the pick up.
- Drop the ball from hip height and kick up and through.