Improve your backfield players understanding where to run and how to cover kicks. Help them anticipate where the opposition are likely to kick to ensure they catch the ball on the full. MORE
This is an example of a low-level technique-based drill designed to improve the leg drive and catching skills of the chaser.
- Player A holds a ruck pad and stands 15m away from the chaser.
- Player B throws the ball high in the air towards Player A.
- The chaser (Player C) chases the ball and catches it high off the ground using
- Player A and his ruck pad as protection.
- Judge – Assess the ball flight and the apex of its trajectory.
- Accelerate – Use the last three steps to accelerate into the ball and provide speed to jump from.
- Drive – Jump looking to “drive” your nonjumping leg high to propel yourself upwards.
- Hands High – Look to keep your hands high to catch the ball at it highest point.
Use these activities to develop this exercise…