William (14), Tom (12), John (9), Clara (5) and dad Jamie Green go through different ball handling ideas bouncing a ball against the wall. It shows how you can give each age group a different range of challenges. MORE
Keep young kids running straight
Encourage your players to run straight by changing the way they go about running forward as a line of players. Lots of changes of angle will make them think differently.
Break the habit of just advancing as line of players and then drifting with the pass by having lots of changes of angle.
- Line up the players into three columns.
- In one column (A), all the players have a ball.
- Player A, on the right hand side, runs around the middle cone and runs to the cone on the left hand side of the channel.
- Player B, as soon as Player A passes the middle cone ALSO runs around the middle cone.
- When Player B passes the middle cone, Player C runs up the middle of the channel. Player A passes the ball to Player B who passes inside to Player C.
- The passes of players A and B won’t be possible unless they are running straight.
- To ensure players A and B run straight, introduce a second, smaller channel to the right which ensures that Player C has to pass to Player D.
- Ball in two hands when running and follow through with the pass.
- Get shoulders square as quick as possible once aligned to the cones.