As the attack goes the same way from a ruck, where should the first defenders line up? There are no hard and fast rules, so use this breakdown activity to help them make the right decisions. MORE
Use this activity to develop tackle recovery.
- Place a defender in the middle of one end of a box and two ball carriers at the opposite corners. The first carrier runs diagonally across towards the other corner (picture box 1).
- The defender tackles him (picture box 2).
- The defender then gets to his feet, grabs the ball and throws it behind him (picture box 3).
- He returns to his starting point, at which point the next carrier comes forward. While he does so, the first carrier retrieves his ball and returns to his starting point (picture box 4).
- Repeat, for a set number of repetitions or time limit. Set up multiple exercises to work all the players.
- As a development, use medicine balls so the tackler has to work even harder on picking up the ball and throwing it behind them.