The best lineouts work on tempo, where the jumper arrives and explodes into action before the opposition can react. Practise throw and jump timings to build a rhythm to your sideline set piece. MORE
Use this activity to develop tackle recovery.
- Place a defender in the middle of one end of a box and two ball carriers at the opposite corners. The first carrier runs diagonally across towards the other corner (picture box 1).
- The defender tackles him (picture box 2).
- The defender then gets to his feet, grabs the ball and throws it behind him (picture box 3).
- He returns to his starting point, at which point the next carrier comes forward. While he does so, the first carrier retrieves his ball and returns to his starting point (picture box 4).
- Repeat, for a set number of repetitions or time limit. Set up multiple exercises to work all the players.
- As a development, use medicine balls so the tackler has to work even harder on picking up the ball and throwing it behind them.