Develop passing techniques before unleashing an attacking and defence situation. A quick-fire game to challenge players to think about space and communication (it happens sometimes!) ACTIVITY A group of three face one way A group of two face the other The ball is passed along the line every time you say “Pass” When it gets... MORE
Get out of my space
Use competition to make players try different evasion skills. This session has one race and one game to challenge players to command their own space then find new spaces.
- Three face one way
- Two the other
- Players race to one of the cones in front of them and turn
- They aim to get through one of the gaps in cones first
- The last player through a gap loses
- If they go through the gap at the same time, they both lose
- Two ball carriers aim to get across to the other both without being two-handed touched by a defender
- The defenders start by running over the cone in front of them, before entering the arena
Attack the space you want but not until the last moment (to fool your opponent).
HOW TO DO IT
- Put five players on the middle cones. Have two facing one way and three the other.
- When you shout “GO”, the players race to any of the cones in front of them and then aim to get through one of the four gaps.
- If two players end up at the same gap, the first player through it wins (there should be enough space to pass, but there might be some contact).
- If two players go through the gap side by side, they both lose. And no player is allowed to go across the cones in the middle.
- Winners stay in, losers are replaced. Winners get a point for two consecutive stays. They are then replaced.
- Two players facing the same direction hold ruck pads. They run to the middle of two of the gaps.
- The players aim for the spare gaps, with the last player through the loser (or if a player runs into a ruck pad).
- Give the faster players a ball.
- Put two ball carriers at the corners of the two boxes and two defenders on the other corners.
- When you shout “GO”, the ball carriers have to score in the opposite box, while the defenders run over the cone in front of them and try to two-hand touch the ball carriers.
- Players must have their heads up to avoid bumping into each other. A ball carrier caught becomes a defender.