While we want players to carry the ball in two hands more, they are plenty of times when one-handed carries are important. But the hand has to be more dominant than the body and here’s why… MORE
Get organised with Russian dolls
Don’t be deceived – this handling exercise looks simple but will quickly turn to chaos! It will get players thinking, talking and organising as they need to problem-solve whilst retaining the accuracy of their skills
This is about communication, leadership and organisation as much as handling. Speed of thought is critical.
- Put teams of four at each end of the red box.
- When you shout “red”, they move forward and pass the ball down the line.
- The last player passes it to the first player of the next team of four coming from the opposite direction.
- Repeat until you call the next colour and the teams move and operate in that coloured box.
- If you call “green”, the teams work in the smallest box but in teams of three.
- If you call “blue”, they work in the biggest box but in teams of five.
- The groups will have to constantly change to match up the numbers.
- Develop so that when you shout “change”, teams swing 90 degrees and go through the box in a different direction.
- Simple catch-and-pass basics (hands out to passer, follow through to target)
- Players should look for potential gaps in the next line and be ready to fill them
- Communicate to help determine who should fill in