As the attack goes the same way from a ruck, where should the first defenders line up? There are no hard and fast rules, so use this breakdown activity to help them make the right decisions. MORE
Get your hands warm
Introduce regular and varied simple handling warm-ups to develop skills, communication and technique. Getting the ball in hand is as vital as tackling and warm-ups need to reflect this.
- In the 15m x 5m channel put players into rows of 5.
- The first player runs out and then passes.
- Players delay their start until after the man inside of them.
- They sprint on to the ball then decelerate and pull the pass back in front of the next receiver.
- All passes must be made within the 5m channel. Hand the ball on to the next group coming the opposite way and repeat.
Pass, follow, realign
- Use a 15m square. The first set of passes is completed before the first 5m line.
- Then realign and pass back along the line before reaching the second 5m line.
- After the final pass, players funnel in behind the end player.
- Keep the ball off your chest.
- Reach for the ball – fingers forward and up.
- Keep the ball at chest height throughout.
- Point both hands in the desired line of flight for two seconds after releasing the ball.