Use these four set-ups to work on good technique by isolating players in overloaded situations. Trained in a controlled environment, these live practices will put scrum fundamentals under pressure. MORE
VIDEO: Step out of contact
Take a pass under pressure, step away and beat another opponent.
- Put a ruck-pad holder one step away from a 1m box of cones.
- Have a receiver come forward and take a pass from a feeder just before the receiver reaches the box.
- The receiver aims to step in and out of the box as the ruck-pad holder steps forward. He then aims to beat one defender who comes forward from the nearest corner.
- Develop by making it both defenders from the corners coming forward.
Short steps just before the ruck pad and then explode away
WHAT TO CALL OUT
- Stay upright and moving forward
- Attack and isolate the defender and then step away
- Don’t step too wide to avoid losing balance
A SIMPLE PRACTICE
- Inside a 20m wide corridor, about 30m long, put a defender every 10m (that is three defenders).
- Have a ball carrier run into the corridor and aim to beat each defender.
- The defenders cannot move forward, only side-to-side.
- The ball carrier scores two points for every defender he passes without being touched. It scores one point if he is one-hand touched.