Improve your players’ understanding of their roles to make sure you can retrieve kicks and attack space when in possession. Play with your Terms and Conditions, not the kicking teams’. When a team kicks into space, the defending team needs to communicate and fan out so it can run back at spaces. MORE
The corner goal game
Use this quick to set-up warm-up evasion game to challenge the players to avoid contact and, as defenders, work as a team.
The defenders will have to think about where to put their strength, the attackers on how to overload the defenders. There could be some interesting solutions.
- Set out the box as above. The players cannot run over the red cones, so there are two “gates” to enter the play area.
- Put three defenders (above in blue) inside the box and up to six attackers (in bibs) in the holding area outside the box.
- When you say go, the attackers enter through either “gate”, aiming to get both feet inside the “goal” box without being touched.
- A goal scorer or touched player returns to the far corner cone of their starting box before returning to the game.
- They also return if they’ve gone out of the box.
- Run for two minutes and then swap the roles. With more numbers, you could make the box bigger, but this makes it difficult to control, so it’s better to run two boxes.
- Develop by giving the attackers a couple of balls. By passing and running, they aim to get the ball into the box.
- The defenders aren’t allowed to stand around the edge of the goal.
- Head up, look for space.
- Lots of chat in defence.