It’s raining and you want to challenge the players to find spaces to run, move the ball quickly and improve their handling prowess. Great! Try out these adaptive games. By Dan Cottrell GAME 1 Hungry hippos Set up A 20m box. Six balls. How to play > Play say 6 v 6 up to 8... MORE
Mixing the feet
In this simple exercise, combine the main running skills needed to create a fun activity which
gets players thinking, running and competing against each other.
Why use it?
This activity is designed for two players to run against each other while performing rugby-relevant running and evasion tasks.
A ball each. Eight cones mark out two 10m channels, with five flags/cones marking out a 20m evasion area followed by four ruck pads marking three channels (see picture 1).
How to do it
Each player performs a lateral movement inside the first box (see picture 2) before racing through the poles/cones and finally funning to a numbered space called out by you (see picture 3).
- Section A – A lateral movement exercise over 10m
- Section B – An evasive running exercise over 20m
- Section C – A sprint over 10m to a numbered space
- All activities must be run with the players’ chest facing the ruck pads at the top of the channel at all times.
- Encourage a head-up style of running.
- If one player is winning the initial part of the race you can call out a more favourable gap for the losing player.