This session works on balance and reaction. Players enjoy the challenge of moving backward before racing forward with the ball or to tackle. There are lots of chances to use good communication and teamwork. ACTIVITY Three players run backwards in and out of the cones, before coming forward to receive a pass and attack two... MORE
Mixing the feet
In this simple exercise, combine the main running skills needed to create a fun activity which
gets players thinking, running and competing against each other.
Why use it?
This activity is designed for two players to run against each other while performing rugby-relevant running and evasion tasks.
A ball each. Eight cones mark out two 10m channels, with five flags/cones marking out a 20m evasion area followed by four ruck pads marking three channels (see picture 1).
How to do it
Each player performs a lateral movement inside the first box (see picture 2) before racing through the poles/cones and finally funning to a numbered space called out by you (see picture 3).
- Section A – A lateral movement exercise over 10m
- Section B – An evasive running exercise over 20m
- Section C – A sprint over 10m to a numbered space
- All activities must be run with the players’ chest facing the ruck pads at the top of the channel at all times.
- Encourage a head-up style of running.
- If one player is winning the initial part of the race you can call out a more favourable gap for the losing player.