Use this blocked attack game (one team attacks for a period of time) to challenge players to apply the principles of play under pressure. The attacking team get extra “lives” for good support when they score tries. MORE
Attack the space, attack the edges, attack at pace
Encourage your ball carriers to run at pace, looking to avoid contact by anticipating where the spaces are.
This is a scanning exercise for just the ball carrier. They will make mistakes, yet start to become attuned to looking for gaps.
Start with three ball carriers who have to go around their allotted coloured cones in the first and last section, before passing the ball to the next runner, returning back.
The middle section contains two ruck-pad holders in pairs. They must stay loosely bound to each other with their inside arm around the other’s shoulder. They may move anywhere in the middle section only
The ball carriers must avoid each other and also the ruck pads. If they cannot avoid the pads they should hit and spin or drive through the gap in between.
- More cones can be introduced of the same three starting colours.
- A new set of runners with different coloured cones.
- Make the area smaller.
- Introduce some single ruck pads in the centre zone.
- Ball in two hands.
- Running on the balls of the feet.
- Small steps in contact areas.
- Head scanning in front and ahead.