The low tackle is the best way to neutralise mismatches in size and power. It relies on a tackler closing down space to restrict the attacker’s speed and momentum – use this scoring game to get it right. MORE
Drills for skills – passing
Work on passing in a drill environment so that it becomes a technique under pressure – in other words, a skill. This activity works players hard to get them used to this pressure. You want players to be able to perform the right techniques at the right times. Address this by including pressure in any drills you set up.
- Split into groups of four, each with a ball.
- Initially, there is no opposition so the pressure is to perform the task against the clock.
- The players have to run and pass across the box and score on the opposite line.
- You can use a stopwatch to give them a time for each attempt.
- Once they can perform this task competently add a defender who chases the ball across and tries to catch the fourth player before he can score.
- Finally add in three defenders in a two, one formation.
- Hands up early as a target.
- Good hand catching
- Smooth follow through on the pass.
- Draw the defender and timing the pass so the receiver takes it at pace.