Set your players up for the session with this competitive warm-up game which helps them use footwork, communication and in the development, passing skills. MORE
Don’t make me cross
When catching a kick, the receiver must stay focused on the ball and not be put off by diversions around him. So test your catcher’s concentration and skill by using a distracting “cross runner”.
Ensure a player can catch a high ball despite distractions. Once he has caught the ball, he must be prepared to run and pass.
- Put two players on each corner of the box.
- One of the eight players has a ball.
- The ball carrier kicks towards the middle of the other end of the box, and you call out which player at which corner will come forward to catch the ball.
- A player on the other corner runs directly in front of the catcher and past him. This is deliberate.
- Once the ball is gathered, both players return to their corner and the exercise is repeated back the other way.
- Develop by creating a 2 v 1 after the catch.
- The catcher is supported by the second player at the cross runner’s corner (corner A in our example).
- A player opposite the kicker’s corner (corner D) advances to become a defender.
- Eyes on the ball all the time.
- Elbows in when the ball comes into the body.
- Reach up and soften the landing of the ball as it comes into the body.
- Secure the ball first before running forward.