Make players more aware of how and when to counter ruck. MORE
Don’t break the chain
Improve your players’ awareness of how to move together as a defensive line.
A defensive line needs to know who’s covering who and then double up if they can to make a tackle.
- Put three defenders across the middle of the box. They can only move from side to side. Have two attackers at one end, and one at the other.
- The first attacker comes forward and aims to get past the defending “chain”. If they do, they run to the other attacker, give them the ball and this attacker advances.
- If they are grabbed (held for at least a second by their shorts), they go back to their team mate and give them the ball.
- Run through six times before swapping attack and defence.
- Develop by running a group of three players at the chain. They are allowed to pass before being grabbed.
- Keep your spacing no more than fingertips distance apart.
- Communicate and look to see where your team mate is moving.