Get your players to quickly react to their roles and who they are marking, plus get off the line quickly with these ruck defence warm-up exercise. MORE
Work together as defenders
U8 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 5
ACTIVITY: TRACK THE ATTACKERS
- Three attackers spread out along one of the long sides of the area and two defenders stand on the opposite side. The attackers pass a ball from side to side between themselves.
- When you shout “go”, the ball carrier runs forward with the other two attackers. Their aim is to get the ball to the opposite side without being tagged.
- At the same time, the defenders also run forward to try to make the tag.
- Develop by making the box wider and adding another defender and attacker. Or make both groups start in the middle of the box, run to the ends and set up (realign) before starting the exercise.
What you say
“Move together towards a target”
“Tell other defenders which way to move”
How many players do I need?
A minimum of five players. If you have more, make the area bigger and add players to each side up to 5v4, or run another game alongside.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 4 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker