Use this drill to work on tackle technique, first and foremost, and the speed and formation of the defensive line. It focuses on head-on driving tackles with aggression and good timing. MORE
Work on tackle technique
U13–U16 | DEFENCE 1
Get your players used to making tackles from different starting positions
- Divide your players into pairs, an attacker with a ball and a defender, and put each pair in a 5m square area.
- Play a series of 1v1s inside the square, each time from a different starting position: Standing 1m apart facing each other, standing 1m apart with backs to each other, sitting back to back, or facing each other 1m apart in press up position.
- When you shout “go”, the attacker aims to score over the line behind the defender. The defender aims to stop him by making a side-on tackle or a front-on tackle.
- Keep swapping the starting positions for each pair and then mix up the pairs.
You will need
- A 5m square area for each pair
- 1 ball per pair
- Bibs (optional)
Got more players?
Set up more 5m squares.
What to tell your players
“Get close to ball carrier”
“Get your head to the side of ball carrier, not in front”
“Drive with your legs to finish the tackle”