Don't despair after suffering a heavy home defeat in your first game of the season. Learn from what went wrong, move forward and focus on putting your plan to succeed into action. MORE
Understand the offside law
U7 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 3
ACTIVITY: GET ONSIDE
- Have four attackers and four defenders run around in the area. One attacker has the ball and can run anywhere in the box.
- When you shout “Tag!”, the ball carrier stops and turns to face his own try line.
- The defenders have three seconds to get back onside. That is, they must be nearer their try line than the ball carrier.
- After the three seconds the ball carrier passes to one of his team mates and everyone starts running around again.
- Score points for getting back onside in time. After five goes, let the other group start with the ball.
- Progress by doing the same, but when you shout “Tag!”, the ball carrier stops and passes to one of his team mates as soon as he can. The new ball carrier aims to score. Defenders who are offside after the pass are not allowed to prevent the pass or tag the new ball carrier.
What you say
“Defenders must go back behind the offside line when a player is tagged”
How many players do I need?
Eight players in a 10m square is ideal, but you can add players to each team and make the square bigger.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 4 cones
- 4 bibs
- 1 tag belt for each player