Use this game-skill-game approach to develop your players tackling skills and game awareness of how to complete the tackle. It focuses on footwork and shoulder contact. MORE
Understand the offside law
U8 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 3
ACTIVITY: SQUEAKY CLEAN
- Set up three attackers against five defender and play normal tag laws, where a tagged player has to pass the ball.
- After a tag the defenders have to “get onside” and the tagger has to give back the tag correctly.
- The attack has six “tags” to score a try. If the tagging team infringe, the attack get a further six tags.
- After each attack has either scored or been “tagged” out, then swap attackers and defenders.
- Adjust the number of “tags” to score according to the ability of each team.
What you say
“The offside line is through the centre of the ball across the pitch”
“Defenders must go back behind the offside line when a player is tagged”
How many players do I need?
You need a minimum of eight players playing 5v3 for this activity but you could also play 6v4 or 7v5.
You will need
- 1 ball
- 4 cones
- 1 bib for each defender
- 1 tag belt for each attacker