If you are able to train, then you will be aiming to improve your players’ skills and tactical appreciation around specific areas of the game. If you are in lockdown, it’s a chance to hone your session planning in readiness for your return. MORE
Track the attackers
Use footwork, balance and agility to get close to the ball carrier to make a tackle.
The session develops your defenders’ scanning, communication and reactions as the attack moves from side to side.
- Five attackers spread out on one of the 15m lines opposite two defenders on the other one.
- The attackers pass the ball up and down the line.
- When you shout “GO”, the ball carrier and the player who passed to him launch an attack.
- The defence aims to touch the ball carrier before he scores.
- Attackers are allowed to pass before the touch.
- Develop by adding a roaming defender who tracks the ball carrier from 4m.
- The other two defenders are on the corners and any one of these advances when an attack is called.
- This means the defence has two bites at stopping the attack, and the second defender has to read his support line off the first defender.