Get your players working hard on their footwork and in unison so they can come forward fast from the defensive line to cut down attacking plays from rucks. If defenders can adjust their feet quickly while still focusing on the attack, they can sprint off the line together, rather than become disorganised. MORE
Stand in the correct position for a restart
U7 MINI-TAG | DEFENDING 4
ACTIVITY: READY, STEADY, READY!
- Put two teams of four in lines across the pitch, each facing their own try line about 3 metres away. Put a ball on each try line.
- Call out which team is attacking. When they hear your call, both teams run to the try line in front of them. The attacking team picks up their ball and both teams run back into the proper restart position for attack and defence.
- The ball carrier stands in the centre of the box, with players either side of him.
- The defence makes a line across the field, but not closer than 3m from the ball carrier.
- Award points for the first team that gets into place.
- Develop by having both teams running around inside the box before you shout “restart” and a team name. Each team has to be in place, with the attacking team ball carrier in position on the centre line.
What you say
“Form part of a line”
“Encourage others to form part of a line”
How many players do I need?
Eight players in a 10m square is ideal, but you can add players to each team and make the square bigger.
You will need
- 2 balls
- 4 cones
- 4 bibs