Get your players to quickly react to their roles and who they are marking, plus get off the line quickly with these ruck defence warm-up exercise. MORE
Finishing the tackle
U10 | DEFENCE 6
Get your players used to getting back on their feet and challenging for the ball after making a tackle
- Put three red cones on one side of the area, and three cones of different colours on the opposite side.
- Put an attacker with a ball on the middle red cone and a defender on the middle cone (in this case yellow) opposite.
- Call a colour, for example “green”, and the defender moves to that cone and waits for the attacker to start running to the opposite side. As soon as the attacker moves, the defender can move and make the tackle.
- Once the tackle is made, call another colour, for example “blue”, and the defender gets to his feet and runs to that cone as a new attacker comes on. Meanwhile, the original attacker moves out of the area to wait for his next turn.
- Each defender makes 4 or 5 tackles against different attackers before swapping over.
You will need
- A 3m square area
- Coloured cones
- 1 ball per attacker
Got more players?
You can line up attackers ready to come on, or set up another playing area alongside.
What to tell your players
“Hit him low”
“Drive through the tackle”
“Get back on your feet quickly”